Records

To access a record, either SEARCH by surname, or browse our records by clicking on one of the following departments:

 
 

In 1913 the Country Roads Board was established - the heir of the Central Road Board and a parent of VicRoads. The Great Ocean Road was first planned towards the end of the first world war, when chairman of the Country Roads Board, William Calder, asked the State War Council for funds to be provided for returned soldiers to work on roads in sparsely populated areas in the Western District.

 
 

The State Forests Department or Forests Commission was first established in 1918 with three divisions (Forests; Mines and Water Supply; and Mines Department) for the purpose of providing continuous management of Victoria's State forests. From the 1930s, it also had an interest in soil conservation. In 1983, the Forests Commission (Department of State Forests) and the two divisions were consolidated into the new Department of Conservation, Forests and Lands and today is part of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.

 
 
 

The Department of Crown Lands and Survey was originally established in 1857 as part of the Board of Land and Works. In 1964 it ceased to be controlled by the Board. The Department functioned for almost twenty more years before being combined with other Ministries to form the Department of Conservation, Forests and Land and today is Environment Land Water and Planning.

 
 

The mines department, under a number of different guises, has been involved in facilitating and regulating mining in Victoria since 1853. It was the discovery of gold at Ballarat in 1851 that resulted in Victoria's gold boom. Ballarat was recognised as probably the richest alluvial goldfield in the world at its peak between 1852 and 1853 but by the 1880s interest in gold declined and the State plunged into economic depression. In response, government geological activity took on a broader focus in an attempt to spark a new mineral boom. Geological surveys became explorations for discovering what the state had to offer.

 
 

The Public Works Department was one of three great construction departments of the State of Victoria dating back pre WW1, the others respectively of Railways and Water Supply, each controlled by a Minister responsible to Parliament. The main activity of PWD was roads and bridges, and functions were chiefly supervisory as the construction powers were delegated to municipal corporations. Nevertheless, the Public Works Department frequently undertook large scale bridge works of national importance, developmental road works, and important harbor and marine works on a large scale. The Harbors and Rivers Branch of PWD concerned itself particularly with floating plant, dredging, and coastal lighting, in territories outside the jurisdiction of the specially created Harbor Trusts. In 1987, the Public Works Dept. amalgamated with the Victoria. Ministry of Housing, to form the Ministry of Housing and Construction.

 

The State Rivers and Water Supply Commission was created in 1905 as a result of bringing together all of the Victorian rural water trusts and irrigation schemes. The Commission survived for almost eighty years, being replaced by the Rural Water Commission in 1984.

 
 

The records database in this website was constructed from a variety of records, archived records and correspondence, Honour Boards, reports to the Victorian Parliament by the Public Service Commissioner and other senior officers, old union journals, and two books. *They contain the names of employees of the Victorian Government who served in the First AIF. They include all categories of employees covered by the predecessor of the CPSU (State Branch) in 1914. This included, at the time, police and teachers as well as public servants. It did not include the Victorian Government Railways, the State Coal Mine in Wonthaggi or the Government Sugar Beet Factory in Maffra. Some names may be missing, particularly for blue collar workers regarding whom the authorities appear to have been less interested in recording their enlistment; for a very small number of those recorded it has been impossible to find an AIF record online, perhaps due to a miss-spelling of their surname. In all 1,665 names of employees who enlisted have been recorded. The AIF records of 283 who died in the war have been accessed and some basic details recorded. Wherever records have been accessed a link has been provided to the relevant record in the National Archive.

*The Education Department's Record of War Service, Victorian Education Department, 1921; They served in blue and served in blue and khaki, Malcolm Grant, 2005.

(Note that the numbers above refer to the numbers of names that have been retrieved for this project and may not in every case represent the total numbers from each department who enlisted or died.)

How to Access the Record of a Family Member via the National Archives

Go to the National Archive Website to access the Name Search facility. Enter their surname and for "Category of Records" select "World War I". You will be given a list of all enlistees with that surname which you can either filter by given name (by clicking on "Refine this result") or list in alphabetical order (by clicking on "Control Symbol").

For each record there is, under the heading "Digital Record", a symbol that looks like this:

Digital Record Symbol Click on this and will open a PDF file of the actual record.

Good hunting!